Big Kids Only

Day 68 of Summer was a Big Kids Only Day.  Sissy and Memmy spent the night with some friends, freeing up DH and I for Date Night.  We had planned over a month ago to have a Date Night and then even a Date Day and pick the kids up late in the afternoon.  Plans changed.  And changed.  And changed again.  Such is life with family.  Instead we spent the evening enjoying the end of Aunt Laurie and Family’s visit.  And got in a few snuggles with new Baby E.

The next day was Tiggy’s softball tournament about an hour and a half from home.  DH and I decided it would be fun to go to the games with just Bub!  How nice to have time together with just one kid.  We thought we would spend the morning watching Tiggy’s games, then find something to do that Bub picked.  Again, plans changed.

The ride up was uneventful.  Good conversation and questions about the music on the radio.  Bub is developing a love for classic rock and I couldn’t be happier!  We got to Tiggy’s game and it was HOT.  It felt like walking through hot butter with all the heat and humidity.  As I sat there sweating I realized that I had forgotten to bring a change of clothes.  Oops!  How could I know that I would soon really wish I had remembered!

Tiggy’s team played a fabulous game!  They work very well together.  I’m always impressed by their teamwork.  Tiggy had a triple down the third base line that was beautiful.



Ready for a fly ball

The Tornados won the first game!  We had to wait a game before the next one.  Bub and DH went to a nearby hunting store while I clipped coupons in the air-conditioned car.  By the time we got back to the ball field, the temperature was 100 degrees.

And then there was a breeze.  And some clouds. And just after the second game started, a downpour.  I haven’t seen rain like this yet this summer.  It poured and poured and blew and blew and poured.  We were soaked through.  We waited to see if the games would restart for a while under a canopy.  With about 20 other people.  Many of them holding down the canopy.  I think the canopy belonged to the complex, but we weren’t sure.  We hated to let it go, knowing it would blow away in a minute.

It really was fun in the rain.  There was that camaraderie that comes with a bunch of people being crammed in a small space with a common goal.  We laughed as hard as the rain.  If it hadn’t been so windy and wet I might have been brave enough to get the camera out to capture some of the silliness.  (When I did open the camera bag, water did run out.  Luckily all was well.)

When the tournament was called, we finally gave up and let it go.  I didn’t even turn around to see.  Completely soaked, I just walked back to the car.  Luckily I had a blanket we could dry off with a little.  Tiggy bailed on his mom and decided to ride home with us.  Next stop? Target.  I ran in Target to buy dry shirts for the boys.  I bought myself a complete change of clothes – down to underclothes!  I have to admit the guy checking us out asked a few questions.  I headed straight to the women’s room to change.  Ahhhhh.  Dry clothes.

When everyone was dry we searched for a place to eat a very late lunch.  Food tasted great after all that craziness.  It was fun to sit at lunch and talk ball with the big boys.  My kids are funny.  Sarcastic funny.  Dry funny.  To hear Tig and Bub go back and forth is hilarious.  Add Tig’s disability to the sarcasm and you get some funny stuff!  Those boys keep me on my toes, never quite sure what is a joke and what is a slam!

After all that we really didn’t have time to go anywhere else before picking up the little kids.  We headed south.  Along the way I decided we could just drop in at a winery I had visited with my girlfriends.  Surely picking up the kids a little late could be forgotten for the gift of a bottle of wine, right?

The view as you arrive

We picked up a bottle of wine and some Coke and headed down to the Cave.  The winery has seating inside and actual cave.  It is amazing and beautiful.  I was excited to show them.  By this time they were mostly dry so a little walk wasn’t so bad.

Love these guys!

The rain had really cooled the day.  Everything was so green and fresh and beautiful.  We found a table near the entrance.  There was a man playing music.  We were just in time to hear his last few songs.  He played The Beatles! I love love love The Beatles.  And so does Bub.  We were being plenty silly and singing along.

The view from our table


My mini-me

We just stayed a few minutes.  We packed plenty of memories into our unexpected stop.

Plans change and change and change.  Lucky us!

Good Times!


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s