This one is fun…
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Though this mother of several favors gift bags throughout the year, Christmas is for UNWRAPPING. I wrap everthing possible. I take things apart and wrap the pieces so the kids have more to open (and I have less junk).
2. Real tree or Artificial?We always had a real tree growing up. I love going to pick it out. When we were first married we bought one every year. We had some great times at the Christmas Tree farm. Lately we’ve used one that used to belong to Papa’s parents. I have to admit that the fake one is much cleaner. I don’t miss getting poked by needles during undecorating – that results in a miserable itchy rash for me! Someday I have to be on the ball enough to have more than one tree so one can be real.3. When do you put up the tree?The goal is always the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The reality is any time in the next two weeks. This year it was up and lighted before we went back to school after Thanksgiving, but didn’t have ornaments for over a week after that. It turned out to be wonderful. The kids and I put all the ornaments on together on a night when we had time to reallly enjoy it.
4. When do you take the tree down? I leave the the tree up until New Year’s Day. I try to take it down that day or the next. Sometimes it takes a while, but it’s always been put away before February!
5. Do you like eggnog? I don’t mind a few drinks in honor of my Grandma Peggy – though it is better spiked (as she would have recommended).
6. Favorite gift received as a child? One Christmas I found Baby Feel-so-Real under the tree. I knew that she was expensive and I did NOT expect to see her. I should go look for her. I think she is in the box in the basement. I am so proud that I have never hurt her to investigate the gel that is inside her. Another Christmas I came down the stairs to find a ring with REAL gold. I still have that too, though now it’s a pinky ring.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My stepfather, my husband, my oldest son
8. Easiest person to buy for? Caroline is very easy! She loves everything.
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, it is cheap, but well-loved. Someday I’d like another one…
10. Mail or email Christmas cards?As I hold myself to the standard that they must be mailed, I don’t think I’ve sent any since Mem has been born. I have photo ones made last year that did not make it out… (I do think I handed them out to family that we saw.) I bought some this weekend… Maybe I’ll send them before New Year’s… I would really like to. I do love all the folks that I would send them to and I love getting them… OK, maybe I’ll work on that in the morning in that quiet time before the little people find me…
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Is there such a thing? Even if I don’t love it, I can surely share it with someone who would and it saves me the trip to the store.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I wait for Rudolph.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Sometimes not until Christmas Eve. This is the first year that I have been finished early. I am even almost finished wrapping!
14 . Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I’m sure I have, but nothing comes to mind. Though I truly think the gift was that someone did my shopping for me. Sometimes I use gift cards from kids at school to buy something for my own kids. I have even recycled gifts I loved, but knew someone else would also love when I didn’t have much money to spend. I am not offended in the least if someone recycles something from me. I am happy to have saved them the trouble – I don’t mind to have given a gift of service rather than good.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?fudge, candy, cookies…anything sweet. My husband’s family gets together on Christmas Eve. Everyone brings party food and it is absolutely delicious! I love the little smokies, and ro-tel, and cheese balls, and rye bread pizzas, and cream cheese ham wrapped pickles, and, and, and…
17. Favorite Christmas song? Mary Did You Know?
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Usually we stay home and my parents come to us
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Of course. I teach preschool – what self-respecting teacher wouldn’t be able to name them?!
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Depends. Since they open presents from aunts and uncles on Christmas Eve, I try to wait until Christmas morning to open the ones from each other. After the family party and the cookies for Santa and the carrots for reindeer I usually let them open one. It’s always new PJ’s so they’ll look pretty for pictures the next morning, but they haven’t noticed yet!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? not enough time/money/energy/sleep
24.Favorite for Christmas Dinner? Growing up, my grandma was not a cook. She always set out cold cuts and salad and stuff that anyone could drop in and eat any time – something that would go a long way and feed many. So, my favorite thing for Christmas Dinner was conversation. I loved listening to all my aunts and uncles tell the same crazy stories. We would talk and eat and play cards and listen to music – definitely my favorite thing for Christmas Dinner!
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I asked for a housekeeper, but I wrapped for myself a new pair of shoes and a new handbag already. While I was shopping on Black Friday I bought a new (and needed) coat that I have already put to good use! I’d like a new star for the tree. I did tell the kids that all I wanted was a clean house, but I haven’t seen them working in that direction so far.